lalalaura725

The Little Pink Book Boutique

YA book blogger, paranormal addict, sucker for a good love story. Adore fairies and angels, and enjoy getting lost in a good dystopian or fantasy novel. Tons of reviews, giveaways, and other fun bookish stuff on my blog, The Little Pink Book Boutique.

Dear John

Dear John - Nicholas Sparks Ultimately I was disappointed in this book. It lacked a lot of character depth, yet I found myself wanting to read it whenever I put it down. When I read the back cover, I was intrigued to read it. To see how a soldier dealt with love and the army and life after 9/11. Unfortunately you really don't get that with this book. In the book John says he doesn't like to talk, and keeps things inside, but that Savannah brings that out of him. Unfortunately, he keeps things bottled up inside from us too--and we, as the reader, were unable to get much out of him.I felt that there weren't many times in the book that I was happy. Whether just happy reading the book, or with the characters. It's a very depressing story that just doesn't give you the "happily ever after" ending that you hope for. John grows throughout the story, but whether he truly grows from the kid he joined the army to get away from is debatable. Well, he's changed from that person in the way that he's not the "tough guy running with the wrong crowd" but mentally he doesn't seem to have changed.Savannah I found hard to like. I wanted to sympathize with her so much with what she was dealing with in her relationship with John, but she seemed like as strong a character as she was supposed to be, she fell flat to me.I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone, but I'm not sure. It was not a horrible book, just not one of my favorites.